Sex crimes are some of the most aggressively prosecuted offenses in Ohio. A conviction can mean time behind bars, registration on a sex offender list, and negative consequences to your personal and professional life.
At Patituce & Associates, LLC, our Columbus sex crimes defense lawyers know the high stakes involved in these types of cases. We are prepared to put our considerable experience, knowledge, and skills to provide you with the aggressive defense you need and deserve. Contact us today for a free case consultation.
How Our Columbus Sex Crimes Defense Lawyers Can Help
When you are facing criminal serious charges, it is essential that you hire a criminal defense lawyer who is willing and able to:
- Identify possible motives for the complainant to make false allegations or misrepresent what happened
- Prevent charges from being filed, when possible
- Explain your legal rights and options at each stage of the case
- Aggressively attack the evidence against you
When you hire our Columbus criminal defense lawyers, you’ll have a strong advocate who can aggressively protect your rights.
Types of Sex Crime Cases Our Columbus Criminal Defense Lawyers Handle
Our Columbus sex crimes attorneys are fully equipped to handle cases involving:
Rape (O.R.C. 2907.02)
It is illegal for a person to compel another person to engage in sexual conduct with them by:
- Using or threatening force
- Impairing the other person with drugs, intoxicants, or a controlled substance
- Knowing the alleged victim has a mental or physical condition that prevents them from resisting or consenting
It is also considered rape when a person has sex with someone under the age of 18, regardless of whether or not the person knew their age.
Rape is generally considered a first-degree felony.
Sexual Battery (O.R.C. 2907.03)
Sexual battery occurs when a person engages in sexual conduct with another person by coercing the other person in any manner that would prevent a person of ordinary resolution from resisting. This includes when the person’s ability to assess the situation is substantially impaired and the defendant is aware of that, or the defendant is a teacher, administrator, coach, or other school employee and the alleged victim is enrolled at the school. Sexual battery is generally considered a third-degree felony.
Unlawful Sexual Conduct with a Minor (O.R.C. 2907.04)
An adult who engages in sexual conduct with a minor who is 13 to 16 years old can be charged with this offense, a fourth-degree felony.
Public Indecency (O.R.C. 2907.09)
Public indecency can be charged when a person knowingly or recklessly does any of the following acts when someone other than members of their household is nearby:
- Expose their private parts
- Engage in sexual conduct
- Engage in any other conduct that an ordinary observer would believe was sexual conduct or masturbation
Public indecency is usually charged as a fourth-degree misdemeanor.
Compelling Prostitution (O.R.C. 2907.21)
Compelling prostitution is a third-degree felony in Ohio.
Voyeurism (O.R.C. 2907.08)
Ohio outlaws doing any of the following acts to another person for the purpose of sexually arousing or gratifying themselves:
Voyeurism is typically charged as a third-degree misdemeanor.
Other Sex Crimes
At Patituce & Associates, LLC, we know that being accused of any sex offense can be a challenge. Your reputation is on the line. That is why we represent clients who are accused of other sex crimes, including:
- Gross sexual imposition (O.R.C. 2907.05)
- Sexual imposition (O.R.C. 2907.06)
- Importuning (O.R.C. 2907.07)
- Commercial sexual exploitation of a minor (O.R.C. 2907.19)
- Promoting prostitution (O.R.C. 2907.22)
- Enticement or solicitation to patronize a prostitute; procurement of a prostitute for another (O.R.C. 2907.23)
- Payment for medical examination and test of any victim or accused (O.R.C. 2907.28)
- Disseminating matter harmful to juveniles (O.R.C. 2907.31)
- Displaying matter harmful to juveniles (O.R.C. 2907.311)
- Pandering obscenity (O.R.C. 2907.32)
- Pandering obscenity to a minor (O.R.C. 2907.321)
- Pandering sexually oriented matter involving a minor (O.R.C. 2907.322)
- Illegal use of minor in nudity-oriented material or performance (O.R.C. 2907.323)
- Deception to obtain matter harmful to juveniles (O.R.C. 2907.33)
- Compelling acceptance of objectionable materials (O.R.C. 2907.34)
- Permitting unlawful operation of viewing booths depicting sexual conduct (O.R.C. 2907.38)
- Permitting juvenile on premises of adult entertainment establishment; use of false information to gain entry (O.R.C. 2907.39)
- Illegally operating a sexually oriented business (O.R.C. 2907.40)
Possible Penalties for Convictions of Ohio Sex Crimes
In Ohio, a sex crime can be a low-level misdemeanor to a serious felony. The potential penalty depends on how the crime is classified, as well as individual circumstances that may elevate the crime.
Possible penalties for sex crimes in Ohio include:
- First-degree felony – Up to 16.5 years in prison, up to $20,000 in fines
- Second-degree felony – Up to 12 years in prison, up to $15,000 in fines
- Third-degree felony – Up to 36 months in prison, up to $10,000 in fines
- Fourth-degree felony – Up to 18 months in prison, up to $5,000 in fines
- Fifth-degree felony – Up to 12 months in prison, up to $2,500 in fines
- First-degree misdemeanor – Up to 180 days in jail, up to $1,000 in fines
- Second-degree misdemeanor – Up to 90 days in jail, up to $750 in fines
- Third-degree misdemeanor – Up to 60 days in jail, up to $500 in fines
- Fourth-degree misdemeanor – Up to 30 days in jail, up to $250 in fines
Additionally, a conviction of a sex crime may require the defendant to register as a sex offender for a specified period of time. The length and frequency of registration depend on which tier the offense is classified under, as follows:
- Tier I – Registration for 15 years, once a year, and can then petition for removal after 10 years
- Tier II – Registration for 25 years, every six months
- Tier III – Registration for life, every three months
Contact Our Columbus Sex Crimes Lawyers for Immediate Legal Advice and Representation
If you have been charged with a sex crime in Columbus, the choice you make in the criminal defense lawyer you choose to represent you is an important one. At Patituce & Associates, LLC, we have handled over 200 jury trials and have an incredible success rate of 95%. Contact us today to schedule a free and confidential consultation.