Accused of Boating Under the Influence?
Boating while under the influence of drugs or alcohol is illegal and can result in criminal charges. If you have been accused of boating under the influence (BUI), you should immediately contact a Cincinnati DUI attorney at Patituce & Associates for effective legal counsel. Our team of former prosecutors has decades of combined experience and is ready to protect your rights.
Call today to schedule a free & confidential case review: (440) 471-7784
Legal Representation to Defend Against BUI Charges
Being arrested for any type of crime can be a scary experience. You may wonder how the charge will impact your life. Depending on your situation, you could face fines, administrative penalties, and even jail time. If you have been accused of BUI in Cincinnati, it’s crucial to have legal representation to defend your rights and protect your interests.
Hiring a BUI defense attorney from Patituce & Associates, LLC can provide valuable benefits throughout the legal process. Our firm will work tirelessly to support your case in several ways, such as:
- Providing you with legal guidance throughout the legal process, including what to expect and how to respond to the charges against you
- Investigating the circumstances of your arrest to determine if any evidence was illegally obtained or if there were any mistakes made by law enforcement officers
- Developing a defense strategy tailored to your case’s unique circumstances, such as challenging the accuracy of field sobriety tests or BAC test results
- Representing you in court and presenting a strong defense at trial to counter the prosecution’s case
- Negotiating with prosecutors to reduce or dismiss charges, helping you avoid a lengthy trial and penalties associated with a conviction
Like DUI involving cars, it is illegal to operate, or be in physical control of, a boat or other vessel with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08 percent or higher. If law enforcement has reason to believe that a boater is operating while intoxicated, the officer may request to inspect the boat and perform a DUI test. These tests are the same as DUI for land vehicles and include blood, urine, breath, and field sobriety tests. If these tests are refused, the boater could face penalties under Ohio’s implied consent law.
Penalties for BUI in Ohio
BUI charges should be taken seriously, as a conviction carries serious penalties. These penalties include a fine of up to $1,000, up to six months in jail, and probation for up to five years. A second or third offense within ten years will result in a mandatory minimum jail sentence of 10 days or 30 days, respectively. If the BUI offense resulted in injury or death to someone else, these penalties are enhanced. Furthermore, if a BUI suspect chooses not to submit to chemical tests, he or she could be barred from registering or operating a watercraft for one year.
What to Expect During the BUI Legal Process
If you are facing a BUI charge in Cincinnati, you may wonder what to expect next. After your initial arrest, you will be booked and detained until your court hearing or until you make bail. Your first court appearance is an arraignment where the judge or magistrate will explain the charges and ask you to enter a plea.
A preliminary hearing follows the arraignment, where the prosecution presents evidence to demonstrate probable cause for the crime. You have the opportunity to file a motion to suppress, which excludes some evidence from the case.
If the case proceeds to trial, you can either be found guilty or innocent. In the case of a guilty verdict, the judge will schedule a sentencing hearing. You can also file an appeal if you lose the trial and get sentenced to jail.
The BUI legal process can be lengthy and complicated, which is why you need a lawyer on your side who can guide you through each stage. The criminal defense lawyers at Patituce & Associates, LLC can help you navigate the system, comply with court requirements, file all necessary paperwork, and prepare for what comes next.
How to Choose the Right Cincinnati BUI Attorney for Your Case
Choosing the right DUI attorney in Cincinnati is essential for a successful defense against your charges. With so many options available, however, it can be challenging to select the right legal representation. Here are some factors to consider when selecting an attorney:
- Experience: Look for an attorney with experience in BUI cases specifically and a track record of success in defending clients against similar charges.
- Personal Attention: Choose an attorney who will give your case personal attention and will work closely with you throughout the legal process.
- Communication: Your attorney should be available to answer your questions and keep you informed about the progress of your case.
- Reputation: Research the attorney’s reputation in the legal community and read client reviews to get a sense of their professionalism and effectiveness.
Compatibility: Finally, choose an attorney who you feel comfortable working with and who you believe will fight for your rights and best interests.
Skilled Representation for BUI in Cincinnati, Ohio
Boating under the influence is not a matter to be taken lightly. If you are facing allegations of BUI and are seeking a qualified attorney to represent you, contact Patituce & Associates. Our team zealously advocates for people accused of BUI and DUI in Cincinnati, Hamilton County, and throughout Ohio. We are backed by a history of successful case outcomes, so you can be confident that we have what it takes to help you pursue the most favorable result possible. Fill out our online contact form to confidentially tell us about your case.