We’ve Fought for Justice in 200+ Trials
If you have been accused of assault, your future and freedom could be on the line. At Patituce & Associates, we are highly experienced in handling both misdemeanor and felony-level offenses. A conviction can result in serious consequences and penalties, from loss of child custody to time in jail to extensive fines and fees.
The good news is that our Cincinnati assault lawyers are here to defend your name. We are well-versed in Ohio’s assault statutes and more than equipped to fight for justice on your behalf. With 30+ years of collective experience, we are ready to craft a strong defense to assault charges on your behalf. Contact Patituce & Associates to speak Cincinnati assault attorney today.
Why Choose Patituce & Associates as Your Cincinnati Assault Attorney?
Amid life’s most challenging times, it is critical to have a legal team that carries both extensive knowledge and an unwavering commitment to your defense. At Patituce & Associates, we put our clients first, ensuring they receive experienced legal defense when faced with serious criminal allegations.
Our Cincinnati criminal defense attorneys offer:
- Experienced Legal Defense: With more than 70 years of combined experience, our team brings proven expertise in developing strong defense strategies. The former prosecutors on our team provide a unique insight into the thought processes of the prosecution, which helps us anticipate their arguments and counter them effectively.
- Multi-State Licensed Practitioners: Our team includes attorneys licensed to practice in four different states, expanding the breadth of our legal knowledge and allowing us to bring a diverse range of legal perspectives to your case.
- Accessibility: When you are embroiled in legal conflicts, know that we are here for you, 24/7, understanding the urgency that your situation requires. To make things easier for you, we offer no-cost, confidential phone consultations. We consider it crucial to understand your case thoroughly before moving forward.
Navigating the intricacies of criminal charges, particularly complex assault charges, necessitates formidable legal support. At Patituce & Associates, we are ready and committed to stand for you, strategically and comprehensively, until the conclusion of your case.
Assault Charges in Ohio We Defend
In the Ohio Revised Code, assault charges are divided into several categories, including:
- Assault (O.R.C. 2903.13)– Assault is categorized as a first-degree misdemeanor. The nature of this charge encompasses harmful or offensive manipulation that results in bodily harm to another individual. If a person is convicted of this charge, they potentially confront a dual penalty configuration: a monetary fine amounting to but not beyond $1,000, paired with the possibility of incarceration, which may stretch up to six months.
- Negligent Assault (O.R.C. 2903.14)– Negligent assault, according to Ohio law, is a third-degree misdemeanor that involves inflicting physical harm to another person by the negligent handling of a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance. Consequently, this charge asserts that the harm caused was not intentional but occurred due to negligence.
- Felonious Assault (O.R.C. 2903.11)– Felonious assault represents a more severe assault charge that inflicts serious physical harm. This form of assault often involves harmful actions that were knowingly enacted, including actions resulting in harm to another person’s unborn child or physical harm through means of a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance. This assailment, due to the extensive potential injury and corresponding legal consequences, is classified as a felony assault.
- Vehicular Assault (O.R.C. 2903.08) – Beyond standard assault, Ohio recognizes and differentiates offenses related to vehicular actions. Vehicular assault suggests a more severe criminal allegation. It is a fourth-degree felony that involves causing harm to another individual while operating a vehicle (typically in a reckless or intoxicated state). The severity of this violation corresponds to harsher penalties. An individual found guilty under this statute faces a potential prison term of up to 18 months. Likewise, their driving privileges can be revoked for a significant period, stretching up to five years.
- Vehicular Manslaughter (O.R.C. 2903.06) – Another subset of vehicular offenses under Ohio law is vehicular manslaughter. This is defined as causing another’s death due to the negligent operation of a vehicle. This is considered a second-degree misdemeanor. The accused, upon conviction, can face penalties such as imprisonment of up to 90 days. Additionally, they may be slapped with a fine, not in excess of $750, and their license may be suspended for a stipulated duration of up to three years.
- Menacing (O.R.C. 2903.22) – The term ‘menacing’, under O.R.C. 2903.22, involves instances when an individual knowingly causes another to believe harm will occur to them imminently, inciting fear. This stands as a fourth-degree misdemeanor in Ohio. When convicted, the person may serve a jail sentence not exceeding 30 days and may be required to pay a fine that cannot go beyond $250.
We also represent clients accused of aggravated assault offenses, which can often carry much more severe penalties and consequences. Each of these cases results in considerable, burdensome ramifications. Hence, having a criminal defense attorney who understands the allegations at hand is pivotal in preparing a robust legal defense.
Is Assault a Felony in Ohio?
Assault charges in Ohio vary from misdemeanors to felonies, depending on the specific circumstances and the severity of the alleged offense.
In Ohio’s legal system, misdemeanors are divided into minor, fourth, third, second, and first-degree misdemeanors, with a first-degree misdemeanor deemed the most severe. In such cases, if convicted, the punishments can include jail time that extends to 6 months and financial penalties reaching as high as $1,000.
When the severity and nature of an assault escalate, the charge can elevate from a misdemeanor to a felony. Felonious Assault (O.R.C. 2903.11) and Aggravated Assault (O.R.C. 2903.12) exemplify such felony charges.
Felonious assault is considered a second-degree felony in Ohio law. This type of assault would involve an individual inflicting serious physical harm knowingly or using a deadly weapon. Penalties for second-degree felonies can range from 2 to 8 years in prison and a fine of up to $15,000.
Aggravated assault, characterized as causing significant physical harm in an outburst provoked by the victim, is essentially a fourth-degree felony. Based on the five-degree felony scale Ohio uses — with the fifth degree being the least serious and the first degree being the most serious — a fourth-degree felony still carries substantial legal consequences. If found guilty, one could face up to 18 months in prison and fines of up to $5,000. Vehicular Assault and Vehicular Manslaughter also fall under felony classifications due to their serious potential harm and corresponding legal penalties.
At Patituce & Associates, we are equipped to provide the informed, strategic legal representation needed to combat these charges effectively.
The Role of a Criminal Defense Attorney
Facing criminal charges, particularly assault charges, can be an intimidating experience. If you’re facing allegations of violent crimes, it can be hard to comprehend the ins and outs of the legal processes. That’s why skilled legal representation is crucial from the moment you learn about the accusations.
- Immediate & Proactive Defense: From the moment you retain the services of a defense lawyer, an immediate and proactive plan of defense is put into action. Lawyers meticulously review the allegations and study them in relation to Ohio assault laws. Your attorney will examine key aspects of your case, such as evidentiary details and potential legal missteps by law enforcement.
- Pre-trial Investigation: Attorneys also conduct their pre-trial investigation. This involves gathering evidence, identifying and interviewing potential witnesses, and consulting with relevant professionals who can help challenge the prosecution’s evidence.
- Legal Strategies: A criminal defense attorney designs strategies that challenge the prosecution’s case and raises a reasonable doubt in the minds of jurors. This could include presenting a compelling counter-narrative, highlighting procedural errors, and arguing for the dismissal or reduction of charges.
- Negotiating Plea Bargains: If the evidence against a client is overwhelming, an attorney also serves as a negotiator by managing plea bargains with prosecutors. This could result in lesser charges or reduced sentencing.
- Trial Representation: If your case proceeds to trial, your criminal defense lawyer will act as your advocate, arguing your case in court, cross-examining witnesses, and emphasizing any point that might create doubt about your guilt. Our law firm has a robust team of experienced trial lawyers who are ready to protect your interests.
- Post-Trial Services: Post-trial, attorneys can also aid in services like appealing against convictions or facilitating services like probation.
At Patituce & Associates, LLC, we understand that every case is unique, and therefore, our guidance and representation will be tailored to fit the specifics of your situation. Our Cincinnati criminal defense attorneys will stand by your side through this exhaustive process, ensuring you understand each step and championing your rights along the way.
The Process of Hiring Patituce & Associates
Engaging our firm begins with an initial, no-cost, and confidential phone consultation. During this meeting, we endeavor to understand your situation, the charges against you, and your concerns in depth. It is vital for us to gather comprehensive background information to develop a robust defense strategy.
Following the consultation, should you decide to engage our services, we will move forward to understanding your case specifics. That involves a detailed review of the charges, evaluating the evidence available, interviewing potential witnesses, and seeking out additional information that may strengthen your position.
Our team, experienced in handling complex assault cases, is proficient in examining each detail’s intricacies, such as the circumstances of the arrest, potential violation of rights, the credibility of the evidence, and any potential witnesses’ reliability. This process allows us to identify weaknesses in the prosecution’s case and explore any viable defenses.
Once we have formulated a strong legal strategy, we will guide you through the proceedings, ensuring you understand your legal rights and the possible outcomes at each stage. Whether the case leads to a plea bargain or a trial, we will represent your interests relentlessly.
With Patituce & Associates, your case benefits from our wealth of cumulative experience, our tactical defense approach, and our unwavering commitment to preserving your rights and securing the best possible outcome.
Arrested? Contact a Cincinnati Assault Defense Lawyer
No matter what type of assault charge you or your loved one is facing, it is crucial that you retain trusted legal counsel at this time. Reach out to a Cincinnati criminal defense lawyer. Our team here at Patituce & Associates provides diligent, detailed representation to clients every step of the way. With former prosecutors on our staff, we are well-versed in effective strategies and can help you develop a strong defense.
Patituce & Associates, LCC – Cincinnati Office
212 W. 8th St.,
Cincinnati, OH 45202